- •A C++ code for solving free-surface flow phenomena using the mesh-less moving particle semi-implicit (MPS) method.
- •The MPS code includes weakly-compressible and incompressible flow approaches.
- •Solid boundary walls can be modeled by particle or polygon walls.
- •Efficient parallelization using the shared memory OpenMP API.
|Current code version||1.0|
|Permanent link to code/repository used for this code version||https://github.com/SoftwareImpacts/SIMPAC-2022-96|
|Permanent link to Reproducible Capsule||https://codeocean.com/capsule/5706048/tree/v1|
|Legal Code License||MIT License|
|Code versioning system used||git|
|Software code languages, tools, and services used||C++, OpenMP|
|Compilation requirements, operating environments & dependencies||C++11, Eigen, libigl, JSON for Modern C++|
|If available Link to developer documentation/manual|
|Support email for questions||[email protected]|
3. Impact overview
4. Future improvements of the software
- •Extension of the code to modeling non-Newtonian fluids [].
- •Coupling with open-source FE solver,
- •Implementation of parallel solver by using a massively parallel code [] and many-core combined with GPU architectures [], capable of handling practical large-scale problems.
- •Boundary walls represented by a scalar field with discrete signed distance functions (SDF) [], aiming to improve the efficiency in calculate the distances between the particles and mesh.
- •Accuracy improvement of the polygon wall formalism by adopting numerical boundary integrations [], semi-analytical boundary integrations [] or analytical volume integrations [].
- •Inclusion of multi-resolution techniques (see Table 1 in []) should also be evaluated with respect to adaptivity and versatility of our code.
CRediT authorship contribution statement
Declaration of Competing Interest
- Meshfree particle methods.Springer Science & Business Media, 2007
- Particle Methods for Multi-Scale and Multi-Physics.World Scientific, 2015
- Particle methods in ocean and coastal engineering.Appl. Ocean Res. 2021; 114102734
- Smoothed particle hydrodynamics: theory and application to non-spherical stars.Mon. Not. R. Astron. Soc. 1977; 181: 375-389
- A numerical approach to the testing of the fission hypothesis.Astron. J. 1977; 82: 1013-1024
- A weakly compressible MPS method for modeling of open-boundary free-surface flow.Internat. J. Numer. Methods Fluids. 2010; 63: 1208-1232
- Moving-particle semi-implicit method for fragmentation of incompressible fluid.Nucl. Sci. Eng. 1996; 123: 421-434
- An SPH projection method.J. Comput. Phys. 1999; 152: 584-607
- Simulation of near-shore solitary wave mechanics by an incompressible SPH method.Appl. Ocean Res. 2002; 24: 275-286
- Numerical calculation of time-dependent viscous incompressible flow of fluid with free surface.Phys. Fluids. 1965; 8: 2182-2189
- The numerical solution of the Navier-Stokes equations for an incompressible fluid.Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. 1967; 73: 928-931
- Sur l’approximation de la solution des équations de Navier-Stokes par la méthode des pas fractionnaires (II).Arch. Ration. Mech. Anal. 1969; 33: 377-385
- Explicit MPS agorithm for free surface for analysis.Trans. Jpn. Soc. Comput. Eng. Sci. 2010;
- Three-dimensional weakly compressible moving particle simulation coupled with geometrically nonlinear shell for hydro-elastic free-surface flows.Internat. J. Numer. Methods Fluids. 2022;
- Stabilization and smoothing of pressure in MPS method by quasi-compressibility.J. Comput. Phys. 2010; 229: 4279-4290
- Improving stability of moving particle semi-implicit method by source terms based on time-scale correction of particle-level impulses.Eng. Anal. Bound. Elem. 2021; 131: 118-145
- Explicitly represented polygon wall boundary model for the explicit MPS method.Comput. Part. Mech. 2015; 2: 73-89
- Step-by-step improvement of MPS method in simulating violent free-surface motions and impact-loads.Comput. Methods Appl. Mech. Engrg. 2011; 200: 1113-1125
- Fluid interface detection technique based on neighborhood particles centroid deviation (NPCD) for particle methods.Internat. J. Numer. Methods Fluids. 2016; 82: 148-168
- Least squares moving particle semi-implicit method.Comput. Part. Mech. 2014; 1: 277-305
- Incompressible smoothed particle hydrodynamics for free-surface flows: A generalised diffusion-based algorithm for stability and validations for impulsive flows and propagating waves.J. Comput. Phys. 2012; 231: 1499-1523
- Improvements for accuracy and stability in a weakly-compressible particle method.Comput. & Fluids. 2016; 137: 1-14
- Enhanced weakly-compressible MPS method for immersed granular flows.Adv. Water Resour. 2021; 152103908
- The influence of wall boundary modeling on the unphysical frictional loss inside horizontal main drain.in: International Conference on Computing in Civil and Building Engineering. Springer, 2020: 1262-1275
R. Amaro, L. Pereira, L. Cheng, A. Shakibaeinia, Polygon Wall Boundary Model in Particle-Based Method: Application to Brumadinho Tailings Dam Failure, in: 25th ABCM International Congress of Mechanical Engineering, 2019, p. 10.
- A domain decomposition strategy for hybrid parallelization of moving particle semi-implicit (MPS) method for computer cluster.Cluster Comput. 2015; 18: 1363-1377
- Implementation of the moving particle semi-implicit method for free-surface flows on GPU clusters.Comput. Phys. Comm. 2019; 244: 13-24
D. Koschier, J. Bender, Density maps for improved SPH boundary handling, in: Proceedings of the ACM SIGGRAPH/Eurographics Symposium on Computer Animation, 2017, pp. 1–10.
- Fast and accurate SPH modelling of 3D complex wall boundaries in viscous and non viscous flows.Comput. Phys. Comm. 2019; 234: 93-111
- Semi-analytical smoothed-particle hydrodynamics correction factors for polynomial kernels and piecewise-planar boundaries.Internat. J. Numer. Methods Engrg. 2021; 122: 7271-7305
- A wall boundary treatment using analytical volume integrations in a particle method.Internat. J. Numer. Methods Engrg. 2020; 121: 4101-4133
- Border mapping multi-resolution (BMMR) technique for incompressible projection-based particle methods.Comput. Methods Appl. Mech. Engrg. 2022; 396115013
- Moving particle semi-implicit method: a meshfree particle method for fluid dynamics.Academic Press, 2018
The code (and data) in this article has been certified as Reproducible by Code Ocean: (https://codeocean.com/). More information on the Reproducibility Badge Initiative is available at https://www.elsevier.com/physical-sciences-and-engineering/computer-science/journals.
User licenseCreative Commons Attribution (CC BY 4.0) |
- Read, print & download
- Redistribute or republish the final article
- Text & data mine
- Translate the article
- Reuse portions or extracts from the article in other works
- Sell or re-use for commercial purposes
Elsevier's open access license policy